One step at a time

Creating an enjoyable journey for myself and my family.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Numb


While I was at the beach today I decided to take my hair out of the always present rubber band that I had in it. I had trouble finding a place to put it. It was too small for my wrist and too big for my thumb. So I decided to wrap it around twice on my pinky finger. I was distracted by ring around the rosey and Marco Polo and forgot that it was on my finger. About an hour later I look down and my pinky was purple. I took it off right away and my finger went back to normal in about 30 seconds. The symbolism hit me immediately. What other actions have I carelessly taken that have made me numb?

We do this without thinking all the time.

Watching too much TV making us numb to the needs of our families. (thank you TIVO) ;)
Drinking too much Diet Coke making us numb to how badly we need water.


Sometimes it becomes a way of life:

Working so much that we are numb to what life could be like if we slowed down a little bit.
Living in such a constant cycle of "deficient spending" that we are numb to the fact that all of our discretionary income is going to interest payments.
Reading books non-stop to numb the pain of the dirty house we should be cleaning.

The ironic thing is that we do this unwittingly to ourselves. No one else makes us go numb. Others can exacerbate the numbing process, but it is always our choice.

Just like my finger, the numbness can be temporary or permeant. Had I left that rubber band on I may have lost that finger. I know that's pretty dramatic, but it's true. We have to open our eyes and take the rubber band off. So think about your life. What is making you unhappy? sad? numb? Is it a dream that isn't coming true? Your family? Your work? Your house? Your finances?

You always have a choice. Look at the problems you face or the numbness that exists in your life then figure out a way to take the rubber band off.

1 comment:

  1. Numbness is always a precursor to death, spiritual death, emotional death, and physical death.

    Thanks for the reminder to continually check ourselves for FEELING. :)

    ReplyDelete