One step at a time

Creating an enjoyable journey for myself and my family.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Gifts


In Japan people give gifts to each other all the time. Gifts are given when meeting new business partners, gifts from students to teachers, gifts for customers, gifts for all manner of occasions. I have been contemplating this tradition most of the day.

When our new boss found out that the AC in our apartment wasn't working she got an electrician over as quickly as possible, 4 P.M. the next day. It's been 85 degrees with 100% humidity so we were all sweltering, but fine. During this heat wave without AC she sent over a delivery boy with McDonald's meals for Adam, and I and Happy Meals for the children; and then sent me a text, "Lindsey, I am so sorry about the AC. I sent you hamburgers just to make your day a little happier if possible." I was so touched by her gesture. As my sweaty kids wolfed down their hamburgers, fries and juice I actually cried. Who knew a few hamburgers could mean so much?

For no reason whatsoever, Fox and Amy, a couple here who also teaches English brought us a bag of groceries.

Adam worked a pretty late night on Friday, and when I woke up on Saturday I found that he had brought me a diet coke and cookies.

After church on Sunday Fox and Amy had us over for dinner. It was more like a feast than a dinner.

One of Adam's students gave me a handful of wildflowers. I almost cried then too. (Maybe I'm pregnant. ;))

Today Mia was sitting on the couch with Adam playing a game on her IPAD. Adam helped her beat a level and she said, "Dad, you're a genius!" What a simple gift from daughter to Daddy. Her simple endearing comment brought such a smile to all of our faces.

I made Yakisoba for dinner tonight and Mia said, "Mom, these are the best noodles EVER!" Again with the verbal gifts from my baby.

Two lovely Japanese ladies smiled at my daughters in a bakery today. (Where I'm from people mostly grimace and groan at children...who are naturally seen as the world's biggest bother.) These ladies bowed and said Konichiwa in such a sweet way. The way they treated my daughters was a gift.

The exchange rate is increasing in our favor. When we left Seattle it was 79 yen to every $1, now it's 81 1/2 yen to every $. Not huge, but still a gift.

Our house in Utah is rented and we haven't even been here for a week.

As you can see, this list could get very long very fast. It's delightful to me to give and receive gifts; even if all I get is kind treatment from strangers and all I'm giving are the "best noodles EVER." This year is a gift. Each of my friends and family are gifts in my life. And yes, Happy Meals in Japan are AWESOME gifts.

2 comments:

  1. I love the perspective, Linds!! Thanks for sharing!! Miss ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, too.

    I also love that the TV in the photo has a big honkin' butt.

    I hope Japan is good to all of you.

    ReplyDelete