One step at a time

Creating an enjoyable journey for myself and my family.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Newlywed Advice


My little sister Jennifer will be getting married this May. Yay! I'm helping Jenn's best friend plan the bridal shower. I also have a sister-in-law, Lisa, who got married yesterday. So I've been thinking about weddings a lot lately. Colors, flowers, locations, dresses...you know, all the things we woman normally think about when planning for a wedding. I bought my sister a book full of ideas, and have been scouring websites galore to create the perfect party for her. But this afternoon it occurred to me that all those things are so temporary. They create a wonderful day filled with memories, but the party doesn't last. What can I give her, and other brides, that would last a little longer? So I've decided to blog a list of the things I wish I had planned for when I was busy picking out colors and invitations before my wedding day.

1. Money, in our new marriage how will it be earned, saved, spent, and shared?
2. In-Laws, What kind of relationship would we ideally like to have with our respective families?
3. Educational Goals, what do we want to learn? Why? How much will it cost? What can we each do to make those goals realities for ourselves and for each other?
4. Children, what is plan A? If plan A doesn't work out, what is plan B?
5. Time, how much will we regularly spend together and apart?
6. Sex, what will it take to make this a mutually satisfying relationship?
7. Chores, who will do what and when?
8. Church, how important is this to us and why? What religious habits do we want to have in our family?
9. Gifts, what is your idea of a good birthday or christmas gift? (Yes, I did blow this one pretty badly, several times I'm afraid.) :)
10. Love Languages...how will we communicate our love for each other effectively?


Of course it takes a lifetime to perfect a relationship as important and complicated as a marriage, but getting started with a little planning is always a good idea. As my husband, Adam, always says, "Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance." Good luck newlyweds!

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your retrospection - I'm just so glad we have that lifetime to learn how to perfect a relationship - all relationships. I agree with your assessment!

    ReplyDelete