One step at a time

Creating an enjoyable journey for myself and my family.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Independence

 Independence is a theme that has been on my mind a lot lately. Mia ia starting Kindergarten in the Fall, we moved out into our own place after eight months of unexpected living with my parents, and I am finally living a life that is true to my values as an at-home Mom. For these reasons and others I am taking a minute to write about this time of independence in my life.

Mia is turning five in about a week. She is a bright child and loves to learn. When her new Principal asked her what she was most looking forward to learning about in Kindergarten she said, "Hmm, colors, numbers, letters, reading...uh...what else is there?" I know I'm not alone in feeling this way as a mother of a kindergartener, but I can't believe my once completely dependent baby will be independent of me for three hours every day. I can hardly wait to see what will become of my Mia.

My parents had no choice but to host us when we called from Japan and gave them the news that our work visas were not forthcoming and we would have to return to the U.S. much sooner than expected. As empty-nesters they were accommodating and helpful. They enjoyed our helping out with cooking and cleaning. I enjoyed the precious one-on-one time I got to spend with my Dad. Adam and I felt secure during our stay knowing that we all were working towards a positive relationship with each other. But. There is a holy and healthy distance that exists between members of families usually. We need our space. We have been enjoying that refreshing independence for about a week. I learned a quote from Latter-day Saint Prophet Ezra Taft Benson while at BYU, he said, "Live in a tent if you have to, but after you marry, do not live with your parents." We've had our chance to get our feet back under us, and now we are happily moving on.

I never imagined being an at-home Mom would give me independence, but it has. I always thought it would make me more dependent. I was wrong. I find myself with time to myself almost every day, which never happened when I was working outside the home. I am free to teach and love my kids in any way I see fit rather than hoping that someone else will. I find myself happily fulfilling my responsibilities at home rather than dreading them after a long day at the office. Most days I just revel in the miracle that is my life. I know our family transformation took a rather dramatic turn when we left Utah for Japan and then ended up back in Seattle, but I've seen miracles in every step of the journey.

I am truly filled with gratitude for every moment in my life, and the peaceful independence I am now being blessed to experience.

2 comments:

  1. Woah! That's quite the quote from Prophet Benson. Hahaha!

    I'm happy you're happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life changes are so amazing. Next year will be a big change for me when all kids will be in school and I get to find me and may talents again. It is good to know that you are happy with your choices. It is great support to me and I am sure to many others.

    ReplyDelete