One step at a time

Creating an enjoyable journey for myself and my family.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

You Are What You Think About

I believe that we become what we think about. Each person on this planet either consciously or unconsciously creates their existence by their own thoughts. Many great philosophers, sages and prophets have been teaching this principle for centuries. In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus Christ said, "Ask and ye shall receive, knock and it shall be opened unto you, seek and ye shall find." I have spent some quality time recently asking, knocking and seeking.


Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” I have spent lots of time dreaming. 


I see my life as one big empty canvas, the masterpiece is in it's early stages. One day when I am old and exhausted I will sit on my rocker and close my eyes and see that it is finally completed. I bought the paint when I was young. I picked physical activity, intellectual pursuits, spirituality, friendship, family, and a few dozen other interests as my mediums.  I've dabbled with a few brush strokes including marriage, motherhood, marketing, publishing, college and travel. But I've barely begun. 


I've been thinking and dreaming. 


I'm especially fond of my daughters. Before I had children a dear friend of mine said something like...if you ever have kids you'll never be the kind of Mom that gives 100% to your kids. You'll have to be the PTA president, and write a book, and travel the world...and also stay home. I don't know about the whole PTA President thing, but I know something else is coming. My friend was right. Mia and Teryn provide me with unlimited inspiration. I love sharing this season of my journey with them. What's coming will definitely include my darling muses. 


I am also fond of new experiences. I feel like this world is full of so many amazing things to discover. I love culture, sports, art, education, the outdoors, making new friends, and finding inner peace. What's coming will expand my horizons. 


I am in a family of language lovers. I took college level French at BYU. Adam took Spanish. Adam, the girls and I are all currently working on our Japanese skills. I imagine language skills will be part of what's ahead. 


I am connected by degree and desire to communications, marketing, advertising and public relations. My skill-set will certainly be put to good use in what's coming next. 


It's interesting to look at my past and realize, "Hey! I think I finally get what all that was for!" 


I am satisfied that I have selected the perfect paints, and brushes and the canvas is calling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment