One step at a time

Creating an enjoyable journey for myself and my family.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Art



















I love art. Albert Hubbard once said, "Art is not a thing, it is a way." I have always wished that creating art was more a part of my way. I've embraced art in different ways over the years. I've played the cello, written books, danced, painted, taken photographs, sung, and designed aesthetic environments. Despite my experiences I've never really considered myself an artist.

I want my daughters to experience art, to create art and to be artists. Art is an important form of self-expression and I want to introduce them to as many forms as possible until they find the forms they love. With that goal in mind, I took a few hours and facilitated the girls (ages 2 and 3) creating their first paintings. Their final pieces are above. I love them. They bring me so much joy every time I walk past them. My girls did not do what I asked them to do. They mixed colors and used different brushes than I intend, but I let them do it their way. I wanted to see what would emerge from inside of them. Minnie Mouse once said in an episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, "There's no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part." I'm pretty sure my kids had fun, I did too; the kind of fun I need to indulge in more often.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you framed their art! What a great way to encourage them.

    ReplyDelete