One step at a time

Creating an enjoyable journey for myself and my family.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Mia's First Day of School

My oldest daughter, Mia started school today. She is the beneficiary of a Federal education grant that her school administrators applied for. As a result, she and 19 other five year-olds get four extra weeks of public education. Her first day of class consisted of a school provided breakfast, storytime, arts and crafts time, math, recess, and school provided lunch. She mentioned that she played "princess and the dragon with a boy named Micheal who has yellow hair." Sounds good.



I was surprised to learn that the kids would be getting breakfast and lunch as part of the program...but I'm not complaining. Her teacher explained that they want the children to be able to focus on learning, not grumbling tummies. Hmm. I always thought my daughters tummy was my responsibility. I don't want to get on a political soapbox here, but these kinds of things are happening a lot. Why? Why do they expect that I won't feed my child? What's next? School showers? Bunkhouses in the back for kids who can't get a good nights sleep at home? I honestly don't know what to make of it. On the one hand I'm pleased with the convenience offered, but on the other hand I feel like I'm getting benched as the chief cook and bottle washer. And don't even get me started with, whose paying for all this.

In any event, I asked Mia how the first day went and she said, "It was AWESOME!" Then I asked her if she wants to come back again tomorrow and she said, "YES!" Our adventures in education have only just begun. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment