One step at a time

Creating an enjoyable journey for myself and my family.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Legacy

Happy Independence Day. This yearly reminder of our blessings as a nation almost always makes me consider the price of freedom. It has often been said that "freedom isn't free." I personally have not had to fight or make any grand sacrifices to maintain my freedom, and I'm grateful for that. I'm grateful to millions of men and woman who sacrifice or sacrificed for me. My father's uncle Clyde recently visited Seattle and while he was here he joined me, my parents and my daughters in visiting the Veteran's Memorial Park in Auburn. Clyde served in World War 2 when he was 18 years old. He served in the Navy. His brother Max served in the Army at Pearl Harbor. He had many friends and acquaintances who died during the war. At nearly 90 years-old Clyde is feeling his mortality as the majority of his siblings and friends have passed away, including his sister, my grandma Bernice Ostler Jex.

I was overcome as I watched Clyde walk around the Memorial. There is a plaque there that reads: In lasting memorial of these dear departed souls who gave their lives for peace throughout the entire world. These gleaming white arches are their highway to heaven after they fell. We know they went to heaven because they spent their time in hell. All gave some, some gave all.


I am so grateful for my family members who have served in the military. Their example of selflessness and honor is inspiring. I am especially proud of my Dad. My father served in the Navy on the USS Kitty Hawk during the Vietnam War. My Dad abhors war, and he enjoys rigid authority even less. He served in less than ideal circumstances. He made many sacrifices. He served his family and his country. Today he is not the 18 year-old that shipped out of San Deigo on an aircraft carrier. He is the 63 year-old patriarch of a family of five children and eleven grandchildren. He is a man who understands duty and honor. He understands sacrifice. He understands what it means to serve ones country and family. In the photo below I caught a moment I will never forget. It's my Dad holding Clyde by the arm as he walks with his cane towards the "highway to heaven" memorial shown above. Someday my Dad will be the one with the cane.


Freedom is something you have to fight for in one way or another. There will always be people subtly trying to diminish it. They must not prevail. It is our responsibility to see that they don't.


No comments:

Post a Comment