One step at a time

Creating an enjoyable journey for myself and my family.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mosby Brother's Farm

I took the girls for a hike at Flaming Geyser State Park today after we finished all our chores.  This lovely park is only 10 miles from our house is Auburn, and we were the only visitors.

Adam gave me a Washington State Discover Pass for Mother's Day so for the next year I can visit any State Park in Washington without paying the $10/day entrance fee. The card only costs $30, so I highly recommend getting one if you live in Washington.

While there we saw a bunny and lots of pretty flowers. It was 60 degrees and drizzling, but we didn't mind. It was just nice to get out of the house and in to the fresh air. When we pulled up to the parking lot Mia yelled, "Hiking here we come!" I love to see the girls developing a love of the great outdoors.

On our drive home we encountered a roadside barn I could not resist. It's called the Mosby Brother's Farm. These two brothers have been in business since 1977 and they specialize in fresh, local, organic food. They had the most delicious looking fruits and vegetables and a wide selection of wine, cheese and organic snacks. I let the girls pick out a few things; Mia chose watermelon and bananas, Teryn choose cabbage and blackberries. It was really cool to see the girls enthusiastically select healthy items.


It made me think about Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" campaign. The point of the campaign is to "raise a healthier generation of kids." The campaign pledge is, "We believe every kid has the right to a healthy childhood." On the Let's Move website you can find suggestions for eating more healthfully, gardening tips and ideas for being more active. There are suggestions for moms, families, schools and communities. I especially like the suggestion made to eat together as a family.


"When families sit down and eat together, children are more likely to eat more fruits and vegetables and fewer junk foods. Eating together is also a chance to model good behavior and regularly scheduled meal and snack times help kids learn structure for eating. So, keep the television off and spend time eating and talking together around the table."

 I hope my daughters will grow up knowing that what they eat and how they spend their time is important, and I hope they choose to make healthy decisions. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to be here with them as they learn.  


No comments:

Post a Comment