One step at a time

Creating an enjoyable journey for myself and my family.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Temple in Kanonji


There is a Buddhist temple in Kanonji. It sits on the top of a beautiful hill in the midst of lush jungle foliage. You have to hike up roughly 200 steep steps to reach the temple. In 100 degree heat it takes a lot of determination to reach the top. My friend Amy and I had 4 toddlers with us on our hike to the Temple this week. Hiking to a temple makes you think. Making that trek makes you consider spiritual matters. As I hiked and roasted, I thought.

I thought about the service rendered to me by the people decades before who built those great stone steps. I thought about the service rendered to me by my ancestors. I thought about the service rendered to me by friends, family members and complete strangers throughout my life. Then, I thought about the service we can each give or withhold.

After reaching the top my daughters were tired and crying. Instead of yelling at them to hush up, or swatting their bums for being whinny, I held them. I wrapped my sweaty arms around them and they nestled their sweaty heads into my neck. I kissed them and told them how much I love them. I was prepared to give the service that was required.

Today I learned the value of visiting a sacred place.

1 comment: